I remember our drive to the hospital so clear. Listening to Taylor Swift’s Look What You Made Me Do. Talking about what we think you’ll look like, if since you had used my insides as your personal dojo that you would like me and would be a mama’s boy, if you would be as cute as the rest of our kids, if you’d be a good baby or would throw as a curveball and be colicky. I had so many emotions. But my main one was
E X C I T E M E M T
I couldn’t wait to finally meet this sweet little spirit that I was so blessed to bring into this world.
When I first saw you, I think my exact response was
He IS cute ♥️😭
And you instantly knew and loved me.
Isn’t it crazy how newborns just know you and feel so instantly safe with you? My favorite feeling in the world.
Over the last year, you have grown so much. Like nearly tripled your birth weight
I’m still as equally tired. 😅
You have grown to love your siblings, especially Roczen, who you seem to constantly be in competition with for my attention.
Seeing you two together makes my heart swell! But, man, am I in trouble when you two start teaming up.
Do you know how much you’re loved?! Can you tell!?
In your first year…
- You went to the beach at 3 weeks old
- Road tripped to Montana for a white Christmas
- Been to the water parks
- Flew on a plane
- Spent most weekends at the dirt bike track
- Been to a super cross race
- Hiked the superstitions. Kinda. Maybe a trail…
You have learned so much. Which goes without saying since you basically only know how to breathe and nurse when you’re born. BUT
- You love Disney, mostly Mickey and those cute puppy dog pals.
- Are dirt bike obsessed like your dad.
- Enjoy being outside and playing in the dirt
- Don’t like birds
- Live for food. My little chubby butt.
- Give the best squeeziest hugs ever
- And give the sloppiest kisses
- Like to wrestle your brothers and take all his toys
- Love to smile and laugh
- You climb on everything
- The stairs are always your goal when the baby gate is left open
- You won’t take a bottle and you think cups are funny toys
- I’m your favorite person in the world
- You want to be big so bad 😭
This year has flown by, but at the same time it’s hard to picture a time you weren’t a part of our family. Isn’t it weird how that works?? You have brought us all so much happiness and light into our lives. I love you so much Colten Jay! Happy Birthday.
NOW STOP GROWING UP